You Will Be a Hero!
You can use either passion fruit juice or lime juice. Different flavors, but both excellent.
You need for the pie crust:
- 2 cups cookie crumbs: vanilla or coconut flavor or regular graham crackers.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar. The pie is pretty sweet, eliminate sugar if you like.
- 3/4 cube butter softened (6 oz.).
- Mix above ingredients, then press into a 9" pie plate. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool while you make the filling.
For the filling:
- 5 large egg yolks.
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk.
- 3/4 to 1 cup passion fruit juice, about 3 to 4 fruits. Put seeds and pulp in blender and pulse a couple of times...not much or you will grind the seeds (just enough to separate them from the pulp). Strain through a fine sieve or strainer.
Next, beat the egg yolks until thick and light yellow. Don't over do it. Add condensed milk and 1/2 of the juice. Beat on low until mixed, and then add rest of juice and mix for a few seconds more.
Pour mixture into (now cooled) pie shell. Bake at 350 for 12 to 20 minutes...just enough to set the egg yolks. Cool before serving.
For lime pie:
- Use 4 egg yolks instead of 5.
- 1/2 cup lime juice instead of passion fruit juice.
- 2 Tablespoons zest from lime (optional, but recommended)
Cook as above until pie is set (so it isn't too jiggly in the center).
After cooled to room temperature, put in fridge to chill.
You can top with whipped cream or ice cream, but it’s great just it is.
Now prepare yourself for some serious ooos and aaaahs!!!!!!!!